Koi Pond, first day


I spent the morning at the koi pond.  I could have watched the koi for hours.  The colors, which I thought of as blotches, are  correctly named:  Hi (red), Shiro (white), and Sumi (black). Examples of other colors used to describe koi include, Ki (yellow), Ogon (metallic monochromatic), and Muji (single-colored). 

The koi in this pond have names and I hope to spend a lot more time with them so I can recognize each fish and greet them.  For a first day, I just wanted to grab as much of their motion as I could.  After their initial excitement that I was there, the fish moved away from me.  Fortunately, the pond's owner had given me some food to throw into the pond every so often and that brought the fish back and kept them interested in me.

I didn't premix any colors, although I'd primed the yupo paper in a teal color just to give the paper some friction to hold the gouache today.  I think next time I might try  a mixed palette ready to go with colors of the fish so I can more quickly capture them as they flash by. 


 

Comments

Popular Posts